Sunday, July 15, 2007

Lake Michigan Duathlon (7/14/07)

My day began at 5:00 am. As I began to pack my things for the days event, I began to feel the nerves in my stomach. Twisting an turning it into a ball of knots, I was unable to eat more than a granola bar and half an apple. I packed my car and began the hour and fifteen minute drive to Kenosha, WI. When I got to the Illinois/Wisconsin border, I began to get a little worried. RAIN was in my sights. At that point I noticed a text message from my sister. She informed me that it had been raining for about two hours in the great city of Milwaukee, WI. Ohhh...no.


I arrived at Simmons Island and prepared for the 7:15 start of the race and fortunately the rain had passed. My family arrived at about 6:55 and helped calm my nerves. As the start of the race came closer, I began to focus on my goal. 2 hours, 10 minutes to complete the 3.1 mile run, 25 mile bike and 3.1 mile run. This would be a large improvement over last years time of 2 hours, 24 minutes and 48 seconds.



The race began. I will spare you the thoughts that were going through my head (I'm trying to keep this clean). Basically, I can summarize my thoughts as, "Dan....what are you doing to your body?" My feelings were definitely pain and more pain. Eventually the pain in my legs left as numbness took over.

I finished the race two minutes past my goal with an official time of 2 hours, 12 minutes. I was fourth in my age group, thirteenth overall out of 52. The average time for all competitors.

While I am very happy with the nearly thirteen minute improvement, I am not going to be satisfied. Look for me to be back and better next year!!!

2 comments:

JBrandt said...

Well done. Photos look good. Did you crop the post running photo so the vomit was not in the frame? Congrats on the race. I'll add your link to my page. Less than four weeks before the revolution begins.

Jeff DeSano said...

It looks like you did pretty good, but didn't reach your goal.....come on coach, get in the weightroom or something? Also, in those pictures, which I thoroughly enjoyed, I kept asking myself where your upper body went...legs look strong, but upper body doesn't look so intimidating as before (just for the record, I was never intimidated by it, which is why I always laughed in your classes and proceeded to get yelled at and made fun of)...but, anyways, good job, I'm proud to say you were my coach/teacher/friend and keep up the work!!!